Thursday, January 16, 2014

Durian Walnut Kale Chips

I LOVE kale chips, I make them often and try not to buy them because they're pricey but they make a great treat. There are a million recipes for kale chips out there so I've refrained from posting one until now but this version is something I haven't seen or tasted before. Usually I make a savory version with a herb/spice coating but recently I've been dipping my toe into the water of sweet kale chips.

These are sweet, 'creamy', fruity, crispy, delicious and jam packed full of nutrients! I enjoyed them as a snack, for dessert and even breakfast! They made a perfect movie snack too, beats popcorn any day. If you're not a durian fan (I know it's an acquired taste) jackfruit would be equally as delicious but so would most other fleshy fruits like nectarines or apricots.

Durian Walnut Kale Chips
Makes approximately 6 serves
1 cup durian flesh (or jackfruit)
2 cups walnuts
1 cup almond milk
Stevia to taste (if you would like it sweet)
1 extra large bunch of kale
  • Preheat oven to 120 c (or the lowest your oven will go)
  • Combine durian and walnuts in a blender
  • Drizzle in almond milk as required to form a smooth paste- you don't want it to be too thin so only use as much as your blender/processor needs to form a smooth consistency
  • Sweeten to taste
  • Remove kale from stems and tear into pieces
  • Coat kale in durian walnut sauce by tossing them in a large bowl- taking care not to overcoat them or they won't crisp up!
  • Lay flat on a lined baking tray
  • Bake at 120 c (or the lowest your oven will go) for 1.5 hrs or until crisp
  • Enjoy!
  • Keep in an air tight container for as long as you can keep your hands off them!

If you're a kale chip and durian fan give this one a try! If you're new to kale chips then I suggest you start out with a more traditional savory version and then move onto sweet varieties like this one. Kale is really wonderful for you, I can't recommend it enough!

Love and Smiles,

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...