I LOVE kale chips, I make them often and try not to buy them because they're pricey but they make a great treat. There are a million recipes for kale chips out there so I've refrained from posting one until now but this version is something I haven't seen or tasted before. Usually I make a savory version with a herb/spice coating but recently I've been dipping my toe into the water of sweet kale chips.
These are sweet, 'creamy', fruity, crispy, delicious and jam packed full of nutrients! I enjoyed them as a snack, for dessert and even breakfast! They made a perfect movie snack too, beats popcorn any day. If you're not a durian fan (I know it's an acquired taste) jackfruit would be equally as delicious but so would most other fleshy fruits like nectarines or apricots.
Durian Walnut Kale Chips
1 cup durian flesh (or jackfruit)
2 cups walnuts
1 cup almond milk
Stevia to taste (if you would like it sweet)
1 extra large bunch of kale
- Preheat oven to 120 c (or the lowest your oven will go)
- Combine durian and walnuts in a blender
- Drizzle in almond milk as required to form a smooth paste- you don't want it to be too thin so only use as much as your blender/processor needs to form a smooth consistency
- Sweeten to taste
- Remove kale from stems and tear into pieces
- Coat kale in durian walnut sauce by tossing them in a large bowl- taking care not to overcoat them or they won't crisp up!
- Lay flat on a lined baking tray
- Bake at 120 c (or the lowest your oven will go) for 1.5 hrs or until crisp
- Keep in an air tight container for as long as you can keep your hands off them!
If you're a kale chip and durian fan give this one a try! If you're new to kale chips then I suggest you start out with a more traditional savory version and then move onto sweet varieties like this one. Kale is really wonderful for you, I can't recommend it enough!
Love and Smiles,