Thursday, November 14, 2013

Strawberry 'Ice Cream' with Sticky Pomegranate Balsamic Glaze

It was only a matter of time before I found a way to eat vinegar at every meal, I mean, I drink it, I have a vinegar cupboard, I add it to almost everything (seriously it makes sauces so much better) but I never actually thought I would add it to a dessert...I found a way!

The fruit 'ice cream' addict strikes again. It's yummy as is but having something delicious like this to drizzle over it just makes is extra special. It's a wonderfully simple topping, yet tastes complex - I believe people refer to it as an adult flavour? - It's sweet yet tart and bold which works perfectly with the sweet, soft strawberry 'ice cream'.

Additionally this glaze can be used as a 'ripple' as it gets fudgy and gooey when cold, just pour the fruit 'ice cream' into a tray and drizzle the glaze through it (making sure there are no large clumps) and allow to cool further before serving.

Strawberry 'Ice Cream' with Sticky Pomegranate Balsamic Glaze

Makes 2-3 serves
400g strawberries (frozen)
2/3 cup (165 ml) Non-dairy milk- I use almond milk because it's my favourite but anything will work)
Optional
Stevia to sweeten (if you get sweet ripe strawberries you don't really need it)

Glaze
1/2 cup Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar (any fruit balsamic or plain balsamic will work too)
  • If using fresh strawberries, de-stem and freeze
  • Reduce vinegar on a low heat by half and allow to cool (and thicken)
  • Combine non-dairy milk and frozen fruit in high power blender
  • (alternately add slightly thawed frozen fruit to a food processor and drizzle liquid in)
  • Blend until smooth
  • Serve drizzled with the glaze (just a little, it's strong!)
  • Enjoy!
  • If you desire a firmer consistency return to freezer before serving.

I hope you try this as an alternative to the other sugary ice cream toppings around. It tastes a whole lot better and as a bonus is much better for you!

Love and Smiles,









Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...