Ok before you say anything- yes it is meant to be that colour, that's what the delicious malt vinegar does to this beautiful soup.
Now since I grew up in England this combination seems completely natural to me but I'm told it may seem strange to some... who cares! eat it anyway, it tastes awesome. Same with vinegar and pineapple with a pinch of chili by the way, especially if you're a vinegar addict like yours truly.
This quick version of pea and vinegar soup is just perfect for busy people (or people who forgot to soak their split peas!) It's sweet but tangy, thick and filling this soup isn't just for entrees, it's a filling main and packed full of plant based goodness.
Pea and Vinegar SoupMakes 4 large serves
500g frozen peas *optional, leave some peas aside for serving whole*
1/4 cup malt vinegar
4 cups vegetable stock
1 x 425g can white beans or chickpeas
3 tbsp corn flour
1/2 cup water
- Combine stock and vinegar
- Boil peas and drained beans until cooked (2 mins?)
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth and return to a low heat
- Make a slurry with the cornflour and water
- Drizzle slurry into the soup while stirring (soup will thicken)
- *optional* serve with extra whole peas
I love my soups, especially when it's chilly and I hope you'll enjoy this one too!
Do any of you enjoy vinegar in ways other might find odd?
Love and Smiles,