Thursday, October 31, 2013

Strawberry, Pistachio and Sumac 'Ice Cream'

I've had some sumac sitting in my cupboard for months now.. but aside from making za'atar I haven't been too sure what to do with it. I love the smell but I'm still finding my feet cooking with it...

As you well know I'm a fruit 'ice cream' addict but this is recipe a new high. I'm LOVING adding nuts and more flavours to my favourite fruits. This amazing combination of sweet strawberries, creamy pistachios and subtle lemony sumac is just divine. I know you'll love it too!

Strawberry, Pistachio and Sumac 'Ice Cream'

Makes 2-3 serves
400g strawberries (frozen)
2/3 cup (165 ml) Non-dairy milk- I use almond milk because it's my favourite but anything will work)
1 cup raw pistachio nuts (leave some aside to dress)
1 tsp sumac
Optional
Stevia to sweeten (if you get sweet ripe strawberries you don't really need it)
  • If using fresh strawberries, de-stem and freeze
  • Combine non-dairy milk and nuts in high power blender
  • Blend until smooth
  • Add frozen fruit (alternately add slightly thawed frozen fruit to a food processor and drizzle liquid in)
  • Blend until smooth
  • Add sumac to taste
  • Serve topped with additional chopped pistachio nuts
  • Enjoy!
  • If you desire a firmer consistency return to freezer before serving.

I hope this gives you some more ideas of how to use sumac, I know I've been staring at mine for a while trying to find the confidence to try it out but it's an amazingly versatile flavour that works well with sweet and savoury so give it a try!

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...