Thursday, September 26, 2013

Vegan MoFo 19- Plenty- Saffron 'Tagliatelle' with spiced 'butter'


This recipe come from Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi. This gorgeous cookbook was recommended to me by my darling neighbour who knows me well... I borrowed her copy and fell in love with it so I got a copy for myself. The recipes are more restaurant-ey than my usual cooking style but having something a little special on hand for guests or special occasions- plus, I can always simplify while veganising these yummy vegetarian recipes.

I've got 2 versions of this recipe for you today, I made the first one with the hubs in mind but even he found it too oily so I've got a version without the non-dairy butter too. I'd make that one if I were you... it's not pictured, that's the first version but it's the one I'll be making again and again.

This pasta dish is something a little different, it has quite a spicy kick to it so it felt almost like a curry gravy with pasta which took me a little getting used to but once my brain had caught up to my taste buds it was great. I absolutely loved the combination of parsley, mint and pine nuts and will be using that again but overall I found the oiliness of the sauce put me off a bit. My other half started drooling before it was served, he agreed the herbs and pine nuts were a winner combined with the spicy sauce but he agreed it was a bit on the oil side- his genius suggestion was adding some breadcrumbs to it to soak up more of the sauce.

I decided to add some more goodness to this indulgent recipe and peel some veggies to have veggie 'pasta'. Feel free to use whatever you like- my favourites are zucchini and carrot but sweet potato or beetroot would also be yummy, pretty much any veggie you can peel will work. I had a combination of gf noodles and the veggie 'pasta' to satisfy me (I'm still striving for consistency not perfection here).

Saffron Tagliatelle Pasta with spiced 'butter'
Original ingredients:
Serves 4
Pasta
2 tsp saffron threads
4 tbsp boiling water
4 eggs
4 tbsp oil
440g 00 pasta flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tsp ground turmeric

80g pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
4 tbsp roughly chopped mint
4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley

Spiced butter
200g butter
4 tbsp olive oil
8 shallots, finely chopped
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
black pepper


place saffron in boiling water- infuse for 10 mins
add eggs and oil and beat to mix
add flour and turmeric, blend until crumbly
dust surface, knead leave for 30 mins
divide dough, roll, laminate, cut.
Make spiced butter- fry shallots, oil, butter, add spices, s and p- remove from heat.
cook pasta, drain, add butter, cover with herbs and nuts.

Claire's Version:
Serves 4
2 1 tsp saffron threads
4 tbsp boiling water
4 eggs
4 tbsp oil
440g 00 pasta flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tsp ground turmeric
Vegetable 'Pasta' (2 zucchini, 2 carrots etc)
AND/OR 
1 packet GF Pasta of your choice

80g pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
4 tbsp roughly chopped mint
4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley

Sauce
200g butter non-dairy spread/coconut oil (I found this to be too much and would suggest cutting it down but see how you go)
4 tbsp olive oil
8 shallots, finely chopped pinch of asafetida
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
black pepper
  • Cook pasta as packet direction or spiralize/peel vegetable 'pasta'
  • Make sauce by combining the spices, saffron and non-dairy spread until fragrant
  • Season to taste
  • Toast pine nuts
  • Chop herbs and nuts
  • Combine pasta and sauce, top with herbs and nuts
  • Enjoy!
As I sit here writing up this post I've just realised what I should have done to save myself the oily treat that my tummy isn't liking. I should have used the pine nuts, herbs and spices to make a creamy nut based sauce instead of the non-dairy butter!!! Argh! Why didn't I think of that before? Oh well, now I have a plan for next time and for those of you who were put off by the non-dairy butter there's your healthier sauce option!

Claire's Version #2:
Serves 4
2 1 tsp saffron threads
4 2 tbsp boiling water
4 eggs
4 tbsp oil
440g 00 pasta flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tsp ground turmeric
Vegetable 'Pasta' (2 zucchini, 2 carrots etc)
AND/OR 
1 packet GF Pasta of your choice

80g pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped

4 tbsp roughly chopped mint
4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley

Sauce

200g butter
4 tbsp olive oil
8 shallots, finely chopped pinch of asafetida
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
black pepper
Approximately 1/4-1/2 cup hot water
  • Cook pasta as packet direction or spiralize/peel vegetable 'pasta'
  • Soak saffron in 2 tbsp hot water
  • Toast pine nuts
  • Dry roast spices until fragrant
  • Combine nuts, herbs and spices in a food processor and blend until smooth
  • Thin out by drizzling in some warm water until you reach your desired consistency
  • Season to taste
  • Combine pasta and sauce
  • Enjoy!
Apologies for the brain-lag. That's what happens when you work too hard! May that be a lesson to us all- get out and have some fun! x

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...