Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Vegan MoFo 18- Peas, Beans Greens- Stuffed Capsicums


I usually use rice to make my stuffed veggies but this creamy Indian version goes down much better with my (fussy) other half. This recipe comes from Peas beans and greens: a cook's book of vegetables.

I made a fair few changes... because I really can't stick to a recipe but it turned out really quite well- we both enjoyed it and would make it again. I put in less spice because despite my mouth's love of the heat the rest of my body rebels. I added some lemon juice for acidity. I added millet because to me stuffed capsicums should have rice, or at least a grain! without it would just be potato curry in capsicums. Also I mixed the sauce in instead of keeping it separate because the hubs will only eat raw capsicums so cooking them in the sauce was a no no, but not including the yummy sauce wasn't an option either so I added it to the mixture...ok that's quite a lot of changes but who cares? It tasted really good! 

Stuffed Capsicums
Original Ingredients:
Serves 6
400g potatoes, quartered
6 small green capsicums (peppers)
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder

Sauce
1/2 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves
6 cardamon pods, crushed
2 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
250 ml coconut cream

Claire's Version:
Serves 6
400g 2 medium potatoes, quartered 1cm dice
+ 1 cup millet
6  small green + red capsicums (peppers)
2 tbsp oil
2 onions, finely chopped 1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder I just used the sauce to flavour because I can't take the heat.

Sauce
1/2 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves
6 cardamon pods, crushed
2 5 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
250 ml coconut cream
+ juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Chop into 1 cm dice and simmer potatoes in salted water until tender 
  • Cook millet (1 cup millet, 2 cups water) until fluffy
  • Combine sauce ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes
  • Mix cooked potato, millet and sauce
  • Chop the tops off the capsicums and remove seeds
  • Stuff capsicums with the filling mixture and replace the top
  • Enjoy!
I actually think this recipe works better with raw sweet red capsicums but the hubs only likes green so we tried it with both... also the addition of lemon juice was much needed, I find straight coconut cream quite fatty.

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...