Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Vegan MoFo 17- Kurma Dasa Great Vegetarian Dishes- 'Creamy' Rice Pudding


Today's recipe comes courtesy of Kurma Dasa's Great Vegetarian Dishes. This Indian style rice pudding tastes absolutely divine. Even with the alterations I've made it still stay true to the original, it's rich, sweet, 'creamy' and satisfying- so much so that you don't want too much of it.

I must say it's not my usual kind of recipe, it took far more work than I'm used to and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd make it again unless I had more time on my hands (read: the holidays). Usually when I make rice pudding I don't use as much milk, just cooking rice in non-dairy milk in the normal ratio of 1:2 but for this one you use a ratio of 1:12 and reduce it down to the delicious 'creamy' pudding consistency. I have to confess my short attention span really didn't help me in this endeavor, I may or may not have let it boil over numerous times which I would not recommend! Regardless of my inability to continually stir a pot and not let life distract me, it really did taste delicious. 

Since we didn't have any white and brown rice is better for you I used that and some other alterations I made were the addition of chia seeds, because they're good for you, they help the consistency and how else was I going to sneak them into my husband? I also topped it with pistachios, because they're yummy- but any nut would work and I ate some warm rather than waiting for it to cool as Kurma suggests. In my opinions it tastes great both warm and cool, since it's winter here I'd go for it warm but it does get thicker when you cool it.

'Creamy' condensed milk Rice Pudding 
(Chaval Ksira)
Kurma's Version:
Makes 4-5 cups
slightly less than 1/2 cup (120 ml) short grain rice
4 green cardamon pods- optional, pinch saffron or 1 vanilla bean
8 cups (2 L) fresh whole milk
3/4-1 cup (185-250 ml) Sugar
Claire's Version:
Makes 2 serves (pictured in one bowl)
1/2 1/4 cup short grain white brown rice
4 cardamon pods
1 tsp vanilla paste
8 4 cups non-dairy milk
3/4-1 cup Sugar Stevia to taste
Optional
1 tbsp chia seeds
Pistachio Nuts
  • Clean, wash and drain rice
  • Tap cardamon pods (I add mine to a tea infuser for easy removal)
  • Pour non-dairy milk and cardamon pods into heavy based pan- stir constantly with wooden spoon
  • Bring to the boil, reduce heat and add rice
  • Stir attentively for 25-30 mins
  • Reduce heat and boil for another 10-15 mins
  • When thick remove from heat --> I found that it needed more time to become thick but that could be my pot/heat so yours could take longer too!
  • Extract cardamon
  • Add stevia and chia seeds
  • Allow to cool (or not if you're eating it warm)
  • Top with chopped nuts
  • Enjoy!

I hope this gives you some ideas to spice up your normal rice pudding recipes, I'm trying the saffron one next time :)

Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...