Monday, September 16, 2013

Vegan MoFo 11- 1000 Vegan Recipes- Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies


Today's recipe comes from Robin Robertson's 1000 Vegan Recipes (pg 430) This was the very first vegan cookbook I ever got and it's so jam packed full of great recipes I've been spoiled for choice ever since.

I reduced the quantity and made a half batch, removed the sugar, made it low fat by using apple sauce instead of the margarine, I doubled the spices, vanilla and walnuts and made it gluten free (as long as you use gf oats). This healthier low fat, low sugar gf version was just perfect for me, it made my mouth water and didn't hurt my tummy. I'll definitely be making them again!

Maple-Walnut Oatmeal Cookies


Robin's Recipe:
Makes 2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
1/2 cup  pure maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Claire's Version:
Makes 12 cookies (Half Robin's Recipe)
1 1/2 3/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used a mixture of brown rice, quinoa and besan flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp Pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg- Fresh! 
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted Apple Sauce
1/2 cup  pure maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar 
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Preheat oven to 190 c 375 f degrees
  • Chop walnuts
  • Sift dry ingredients together
  • Stir in the oats and walnuts
  • Combine apple sauce, maple syrup and vanilla
  • Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine
  • Spoon onto baking tray and press down (I don't think I did this enough so they took longer to bake)
  • Cookies do not spread so you can place them fairly close together
  • Bake for 10-20 mins depending on their height/your oven
  • Cool on a wire rack
  • Enjoy!
These yummy cookies were loved by everyone who tasted them, my father and husband were both pleasantly surprised and went back for more...and more...and more! I know you'll love them too.

Love and Smiles,






Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...