Friday, September 13, 2013

Vegan MoFo 10- The Happy Herbivore- Ginger Beer scone cakes


Today's 'Claire can't stick to a recipe' round 10 is Root Beer Cupcakes from The Happy Herbivore (pg 214). To be honest, I think I stuffed this one up. I'm pretty sure the gluten free flour blend I used made it too heavy to call it a cupcake but if you view it as a light scone it fits the bill nicely. Regardless of texture it tastes divine. Also, I didn't know ginger beer and root beer were different, did you? I've never had root beer but I just assumed I could use ginger beer which tasted amazing.

Ginger Beer Scone cakes
Lindsay's Version:
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 cup root beer
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of ground anise (optional)
Icing (optional)
Claire's Version:
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup raw sugar Natvia
1 cup root beer Ginger Beer
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour Gluten free flour blend (I used quinoa, besan, brown rice flour)
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of ground anise (optional)
Icing (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 180 c 350 f degrees
  • Grease muffin tins
  • Combine wet ingredients
  • Sift to combine dry ingredients
  • Add wet to dry ingredients in 3 to 4 batches stirring as little as possible
  • Spoon mixture into cups, fill 3/4
  • bake for 15-25 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean
  • Cool on a wire rack
  • Enjoy!

I'm sure these cupcakes will work better with a lighter gluten free flour blend, I'm trying them again because the flavour is just beautiful. Hope you do too!

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...