Monday, September 2, 2013

Vegan MoFo 1- Jamie's 30 Minute Meals- Firey Satay 'Noodle' Salad


I've always had a thing for cookbooks, before I went vegan I had an assortment of wonderful cook books at my disposal. I've been cooking from some for years and couldn't bring myself to part with them- they've given us so many delicious memories! I must admit, they did sit dormant for a while before I found the confidence, ingredients and skills to augment these recipes to suit my new diet- but I'm happy to say they're once again in full use. 

If you're in a similar situation I hope this MoFo can help you, I'll be picking a recipe from a different cook book each post to vegan-ise and health-ify to help show you how easy it is!..and share some new recipes adapted from/inspired by my favourite cook book authors.

Just to give you a quick run down here are my dietary goals:
Vegan- obviously no animal products, this is the only one most of you will have to think about.
Healthy- I know many of you will also share this one...
Avoiding refined sugar/oil, low salt- As above but we all have some exceptions!
Low FODMAPs- This one is most likely where I differ from the majority of you- My tummy is temperamental to say the least, dependent on a multitude of other things (quantity, sleep, stress, pollution, hay fever, holidays etc.) I can have issues with many foods so I will omit onions and garlic example for this reason.

Today's offering is from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals, pg 112. I love Jamie Oliver. I love his recipes, I love his cookbooks. I mean no disrespect by altering the recipes and I really believe he wouldn't care but would be happy I'm still using his recipe ideas. 

This feast of a meal is delicious. The quick and easy satay sauce is a little unusual but fresh super yummy. Obviously I changed it a fair bit but this turned out to be such a wonderful meal, I urge you all to give it a try- especially the sauce!
Jamie's Ingredients:

Amazing Satay Sauce
1/2 bunch coriander
1 red chilli
1/2 clove garlic
3 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter
soy sauce
2cm fresh ginger
2 limes

Firey Noodle Salad
250g dried egg noodles
100g unsalted cashews
1/2 medium red onion
1 red chilli
small bunch of coriander
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1 lime
1tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp honey
Lettuce, chili, lime, soy, coriander to garnish

Claire's Version:
Satay Sauce
Makes 8 serves
1/2 1 bunch coriander
1 red chilli
1/2 clove garlic
3 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter
soy sauce
2cm fresh ginger
2 limes
Splash of water
  • Zest and juice limes
  • Wash coriander well
  • Peel ginger, garlic and de-stem chilli
  • Combine all ingredients in blender
  • Pulse to chop then blend well to combine to a smooth paste
  • Enjoy!
  • (use half for satay tofu skewers and half for Firey Satay 'Noodle' Salad)

Firey Satay 'Noodle' Salad
Makes 2 large serves (he said 4, I say 2- eat more veggies!)
250g dried egg noodles Spiral cut raw vegetables of your choice (I used 2 zucchinis and 1 carrot)
100g unsalted RAW cashews
1/2 medium red onion Omited for FODMAPs reasons, include if you like it!
1 red chilli
small bunch of coriander
1-2 tbsp soy sauce- Reduced Salt
1 lime
1tsp 2 tbsb sesame oil SEEDS
1 tsp fish sauce Soy sauce/Tamari- Reduced Salt
1 tsp honey 4 drops Stevia (to taste)
Lettuce, chilli, lime, soy, coriander to garnish
  • Make Satay sauce above, use half for this recipe
  • Juice lime
  • Add lime, stevia and soy to sauce
  • Combine well
  • Spiral cut zucchini and carrot
  • Chop chilli, lettuce, lime, coriander
  • Combine veggie 'noodles', cashews, sesame seeds, coriander
  • Add sauce, make sure everything is covered and allow to sit for 5 minutes to soften
  • Garnish with sesame seeds, lettuce, chilli and more coriander and lime
  • Enjoy! (alone or with tofu satay skewers)
Submitted to Healthy Vegan Friday

I hope this helped you feel more confident cooking from non-veg cookbooks! If you're ever stuck just shoot me an email/comment/tweet- you know I'll always try to help. Happy Vegan MoFo! x

Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...