Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lemon 'Curd' {Vegan, sugar free, low fat}

I made by request from my husband- I'd been meaning to get around to it for a while but better late than never! We're both lemony people so this is a strong one, I wouldn't suggest eating it alone (like I may have) unless you enjoy eating lemons too, alternatively if you're not such a lemon lover simply add some water or non-dairy milk instead of all the lemon juice so you're using 1 cup liquid in total then you could eat it straight like a pudding if you so desire!

I would suggest using this as an ingredient in desserts though- like I did for my other half. We whipped up a little lemon tart with this filling and chocolate topping. Unfortunately it was devoured before I got a chance to photograph it but you all know what a tart looks like. I could see this in a tart topped with fresh berries in a healthier version!
This lemon 'curd' is wonderfully mouth puckering-ly tart. Sweet and perfect for using as a dessert ingredient, it's creamy but not heavy and sets to a soft luscious texture that's just divine. This recipe is just begging to be used in some delicious vegan desserts!

Lemon 'Curd'
Makes 6 small serves
1 tsp agar agar
100g silken tofu
250ml/1 cup fresh lemon juice (don't use the bottled kind) OR your desired blend of diluted lemon juice and water or non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp liquid stevia (adjust to taste, I like it more lemony than sweet)
2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Juice lemons and strain
  • Combine cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth
  • Heat over a low heat while stirring until thickened
  • Add agar agar and heat for 2 mins
  • Add silken tofu
  • Blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth
  • Allow to set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (30 mins will do it if you put it in individual portions)
  • Enjoy!
  • Keeps well in the fridge for a week (do not freeze)

You can see the texture better in this photo (even if it doesn't look as pretty) when set it has enough body to hold itself up and support say berries for example in a lemon curd tart.

How do you like to use lemon curd? Any favourite recipes I should try this with?
Submitted to Health Vegan Friday
Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...