You know I love my fruit 'ice cream', I mean- how can you not? it's sweet and refreshing tastes decadent but is healthy and is low/no fat and has no added sugar! My perfect warm weather dessert- and being an Aussie there are more than enough occasions that fit the bill.
This version is mango based, the texture of frozen mango alone is divine but the addition of coconut water and young coconut flesh makes it extra special and the zing of lime freshens it up and compliments the sweetness perfectly. It's a wonderful combo- you've really got to give it a try!
Makes 3-4 serves
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 a juicy lime (or a whole small one) -- If you like it tangy feel free to increase
Fresh coconut water (quantity from 1 young drinking coconut- approximately 1 cup)
Fresh young coconut flesh (quantity from 1 young drinking coconut - approximately 1 cup)
1 cup bottled/canned coconut water + 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Slice cheeks off mango- holding the mango upright and sliding the knife along the pip
- Remove skin by sliding a large spoon between flesh and skin
- Chop and freeze mango
- Remove mango from freezer 5-10 mins before making
- Open coconut (link to video)
- Pour juice into food processor
- Spoon out young coconut flesh and add to processor
- Process until smooth
- Zest and juice lime and add to processor
- When mango is slightly softened add to food processor/blender
- Process (pulsing to begin with) until it forms a soft serve consistency
- If you desire a firmer texture simply return to the freezer. For longer term storage remember to pull it out of the freezer 15-30 mins (depending on the temperature) before eating.
I hope you're all enjoying some delicious healthy desserts! If mango isn't quite your thing I have an array of other fruit 'ice cream' flavours you can try- there's something for everyone.
Love and Smiles,