Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sweetcorn, Pea & Tofu Soup

This soup was inspired by a dish at my local vegetarian restaurant. The place that is far to close to always resist and has ruined many a good intention. I call it junk food vegetables, you know, salt+ oil + fake meats etc. Theirs is obviously loaded with salt and sugar so I knew I could make a healthy version. This is the perfect soup for when you're feeling a little under the weather in the cooler months. Over here the weather's cooled down significantly but for those of you on the other side of the world- enjoy the sunshine!

The sweetcorn is a wonderfully sweet, flavourful base for the bites of smoked tofu and pea that come your way in each mouthful. Now, I like to chew my soups so this is just perfect for me but if you're into smooth soups just blend the whole thing! (but be warned it will turn a light green). 

Corn, Pea and Tofu Soup
Makes 2 serves
2 ears of sweetcorn (or 2 cups frozen kernels)
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
Veggie stock to cover (approx. 4 cups)
150g smoked tofu
1 tbsp besan flour/corn flour (optional to thicken)
  • Remove corn from ear
  • Cover with stock and simmer until tender
  • Chop smoked tofu into small cubes
  • Blend well (corn takes a while, don't be fooled!)
  • Rain in flour to avoid clumping (or make a slurry with some water) and stir well to thicken
  • Add peas and smoked tofu
  • Simmer in a pot until peas are cooked and tofu warmed through
  • Enjoy!
  • Keeps well in the fridge for 3 days
I hope you're enjoying your veggies- in whatever form!

Submitted to Healthy Vegan Fridays

And if you want to check on my progress (slow and complicated that it is) feel free to head over to my progress journal.

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...