Friday, April 5, 2013

Vulnerability & Food {Dr Fuhrman Eating Plan}

Writing and food rambles rather than recipes today- but don't worry, they'll be back next post! So if this isn't your thing feel free to skim/skip this one.

I'm not comfortable being vulnerable and boy is this post vulnerable. I don't know many people who are but I do recognise this blog has taken more of a detached focus on recipes recently. I love the food and am very happy with my decision to produce quality posts weekly rather than all my eats but it does mean that I'm less accountable for my choices and less likely to ramble about my thoughts and life... now while I'm not so disillusioned that I think you would actually enjoy reading my ramblings it also means that I'm not sharing as much of myself. I do want you to get to know the person behind the recipes so I'm going to try to inject some more of 'me' into ASVF. If you guys have and questions or suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Here's a little background: I used to have another blog. I had a love/hate relationship with it. It was more of a diet dairy than anything else, I was writing to let the crazy out of my head but knowing there were others that understood my crazy thoughts and ramblings was wonderful. Unfortunately it took me down quite an unhealthy path and my issues with food got worse until I reached a point where I really needed to refocus on all my positive feelings towards food. So I started this blog! It was a place I could share healthy recipes and focus on getting lots of healthy yummy foods in my life rather than feeling guilty or dwelling on bad decisions (because having a 'treat' just wasn't an option). 

So here I am- I have a much healthier relationship with food, I'm getting lots of the good stuff in but still struggling with binge eating... it seems to get better and worse along with the changes in life and I'm quite embarrassed to say I still haven't won this battle (yet?). Here's to honesty and vulnerability...I'm still struggling and I don't know what to do. 


I'm tempted to start another diet blog and dive headlong into order, calories, restriction, weighing.. but can I do that and keep a healthy mindset? (chances are history will repeat itself) I've tried keeping the food journal page on here but life seems to get to me and I forget... I'm hesitant to talk too much about diet stuff here because I don't want to annoy you guys. I used to post weekly weigh ins when I first started this blog- perhaps being accountable weekly might be a good balance? If you guys have any suggestions feel free to let me know! I'm always open to suggestions. I really do think constructive criticism is a wonderful thing- being an artist, teacher and post-grad student really confirms that mindset. 

Food-wise raw isn't working for me at the moment. I did achieve my goal of eating more raw, I've been loving getting more raw foods in my diet and will try to keep it up- just not to the same level. It was fabulous at first and I would recommend eating more raw fruit and veg to anyone- but I've noticed that I've been eating more and more fats (lots of nuts and coconutny desires) and it's not going well. My digestion has been iffy (more than likely stress from uni aggravating it but either way it's not good) and I think I need to re-adjust. I think I would prefer to increase my calories from cooked veggies or beans rather than the amount of fats I've been leaning on. The weather has been getting colder and my desire for cooked foods is increasing. I haven't noticed any other significant changes in my health or constant skin condition/disease (granuloma annulare if you're interested) so I've come to the conclusion that 60% is more achievable than 80% raw. I'm going with some tempeh, brown rice/quinoa/buckwheat and some cooked vegetables. To be honest I think aiming for high raw is pushing myself too far towards crazy and is making not binging harder. Well, that or life stress is just getting to me.

Similarly juice fasting (as much as I love it and know it will be part of my life again) has upped the anti on my perfectionist streak. The more I push myself towards perfection the more I feel like I'm losing my balance and want to binge.


So here's my plan- stop thinking so much about food and just follow an expert's advice. I'm going back to Dr Fuhrman's style of eating (Eat to live/Eat for Health). I know it works, it's healthy and achievable long term so I'm going back to his plan- it's something I don't have to think about and trust.

These are my aims:
* No snacks
* No fruit juice/dried fruit
* No refined foods (white flour/bread/pasta)
* Daily salad
* Daily green veggies
* Eat so much off the good stuff you're not hungry for the bad things!
* Daily healthy dessert (I'm thinking fruit ice creams)
* Sweat daily! Doesn't matter what type or how much, just get some exercise in!
  • 7.5 cups/0.5lbs Raw Vegetables
  • 4.5 cups/0.5lbs Cooked Vegetables
  • 1 cup Starchy Vegetables OR Whole grains
  • 0.5-1 cup Beans/Legumes
  • 4 serves/6 cups Fruit
  • 1 tbsp Flax/Chia Seeds
  • 1/4 cup/1oz Raw Nuts/Seeds
  • Sodium under 1000 mg

If anyone would like to join me I would be thrilled- we could keep track of each other in the comments of my weekly updates and help keep each other on track? if not, I'll share my journey with you anyway because I need the accountability! 

I do have some posts scheduled because I'm focused on on uni at this time of year so don't freak when you see some desserts and non-nutritarian recipes pop up.

I hope you're all well, happy and getting lots of fruit and veg in your diets!

Love and Smiles,



-

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...