Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Slim Me Stevia

What is Stevia? Stevia is extracted from the Stevia leaf, from the Stevia Rebaudiana plant. The steviol glycosides taste sweet making it a low calorie no sugar alternative to both sugar and artificial sweetener. It has little to no effect on your blood sugar and tastes much sweeter than sugar (approximately 300 times).

Personally I always have stevia in my house but I do try to limit my use of sweeteners. I over used stevia when I was first introduced to it- I mean how can you not love a natural, no calorie sweetener that doesn't upset your stomach? But it gets to you. Basically the more sweet foods you eat the more your taste buds get used to it and adjust so it doesn't taste sweet anymore (the same thing happens with salt too by the way) so to keep my fruit and veggies tasting sweet I try to just have a little stevia in my tea and in recipes that really need it (once you're used to the sweet taste of fruit most recipes seem quite sweet naturally so it's easy to cut down).

I had the opportunity to test out some Slim Me SteviaI tested these old school- I put them straight into water to taste them properly, then I tried them with tea (ok with lots of teas, I love my tea) and then tested it out in some of my recipes. They all passed with flying colours!

Now I've had my fair share of stevia, I've had some shockers (namely the white and green one you can find in health food stores in Melbourne) some amazing ones (NuNaturals are just divine), some great for baking (Natvia) and I can say these flavoured stevias are great. The range is huge and there's no undesirable after taste- just what I'm looking for.
I tried the original, chocolate, mint and vanilla because I thought they would be the most popular (and I've tried other brands of those flavours) so I can't really comment on the other flavours but feel free to try them and let me know what you think...

I use stevia in many meals, both savoury and sweet... like all these yummy meals!

Desserts:


Breakfasts:


Savoury Dishes:


You can find stevia in liquid, tablet or powder or granular forms- I use liquid the most, for drinks and most recipes, the tablets are easy to use in drinks and are more convenient to take out but need to be crushed or dissolved before using in a recipe. The granular form works best in baked recipes.

What do you think- are you a fan of stevia too? How do you like to use it?

Love and Smiles,








Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...