Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Culinary Translations

I grew up in the U.K, live in Australia and have many readers from the U.S.A so I thought it might be handy to go through some names as we don't always speak the same language!
(If you have any to add please let me know and I'll pop them in!)



Paw Paw (yellow, larger) = Papaya (orange, smaller)
but people and shops don't seem to distinguish
source

Rock Melon = Cantaloupe
source

Sultanas = Golden Raisins


Coriander = Cilantro
source

Capsicum = Bell pepper = Pepper = Sweet pepper
source

Zucchini = Courgette
source
Eggplant = Aubergine
source
Spring Onions = Shallots = Green Onions = Scallion = Eschallot
source
Shallots = Small onions = Pickling Onions
source
Sweet Potato = Kumura = Yam
source
Corn = Sweetcorn
source
Beetroot = Beets
source
Baked Potato = Jacket Potato
source
Mangetout = Snow Peas
source
Silverbeet = Swiss Chard
source
Swede = Rutabaga
source
Broad bean = Fava bean
source
Chickpea = Grabanzo bean
source
Porridge = Cooked oatmeal
source
Scone = Biscuit
source
Cookie = Biscuit
source
Bi Carb = Baking Soda
source
Plain flour = All purpose flour
source
Molasses = Treacle
source
Cornflour = Cornstarch
source 
Wholemeal flour = Whole wheat
source
Desiccated Coconut = Shredded Coconut
source
Jam = Jelly
source
Icing = Frosting
source
Tomato Sauce = Ketchup
source
Tomato paste = Tomato puree
source
Peanut oil = Groundnut oil
source
Cling film = Cling Wrap = Glad wrap = Saran wrap
source
Baking Paper = Grease proof Paper = Parchment Paper
source
Grill = Broiler
(the bit in between the oven and stove top)
source
BBQ = Grill
source

Can you think of any others?? Do you disagree with any? I know there are parts of Australia that call things different names (like spring onion/shallot/eschallot) so there can be confusion everywhere!

I just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who's taken the time to give me some feedback on the blog by completing the survey. It really means a lot to me- you've helping me make the blog better for us all.

I'm going to leave it open for a bit longer (maybe another week or so?) then when I've analysed the data I'm planning on sharing my insights and letting you guys know what sort of changes I'll be making around here. This should give you the chance to let me know what you think again (or if I'm about to make a big mistake!).

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...