Thursday, March 21, 2013

Tomato Sauce (sugar + salt free), Cinnamon + Lemon infused Apple Cider Vinegar, Rosemary, Sage + Pepper infused White Wine Vinegar

Condiments can be sugar and salt traps so more often than not we omit them when trying to make healthy food choices. You needn't go without though! Just give making them a go. 

This tomato sauce along with my dijon mustard is a staple in our fridge, we never have anything else so when we have friends over there isn't really much choice- needless to say many guests have tried this tomato sauce (and loved it!). I was sure one of my husband's friends would turn his nose up at it but after giving it a good eyeing and sniff, dug in and proclaimed he actually preferred it to the original! Give this one a go, you'll save yourself calories, salt, sugar and preservatives.

Tomato Sauce (sugar + salt free)
Cinnamon and Lemon infused Apple Cider Vinegar
Tomato Sauce (sugar free)
Makes 12 serves
1 cup Tomato paste (organic salt reduced preferably)
3/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
Stevia to taste - approximately 20 drops
Optional extras
Freshly ground black pepper
Onion powder
  • Combine ingredients in a jar
  • Shake extremely well to combine
  • Enjoy!
  • Keeps for weeks in the fridge
Cinnamon and Lemon infused Apple Cider Vinegar
Makes 1 cup
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cinnamon quill
1 cup Apple cider vinegar
  • Combine ingredients in a jar/bottle
  • Store for 1 week before use- the longer you leave it the stronger it gets
  • Enjoy!
  • Keeps indefinitely
Rosemary, Sage and Pepper infused White Wine Vinegar
Makes 500mls
1 x 500ml bottle White wine vinegar (some can use non-vegan filtration so make sure you choose a vegan one!)
2 sprigs of rosemary
handful of fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp whole black pepper corns
  • Combine ingredients in bottle
  • Store for 1 week before use- the longer you leave it the stronger it gets
  • Enjoy!
  • Keeps indefinitely
I think it's clear I love my vinegar. We have a huge variety- obviously the un-pictured regular white, apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, malt vinegar, balsamic vinegar but here are some of my more unusual (and completely delicious) vinegars!
(Disclaimer: I was not compensated by anyone to write this post, all opinions are my own, I just pulled what we had in the cupboard out to photograph)
From left to right you've got the insanely salty plumb vinegar, that you really only need a tiny weeny bit of, next is the dark Chinese vinegar which is sweet, salty, vinegary and just divine in stir fries and Asian soups. Next is my delicious infused vinegar above, then the sweet orange balsamic and pomegranate balsamic which are amazing in desserts as well as salad dressings and as a fresh finish to cooked dishes. 

Then we have the hot horseradish vinegar with tumeric and garlic, if you like the kick of wasabi/horseradish then this is for you! I love it and will happily eat it until there is a thin film of sweat over my face in the same way my husband will enjoy tabasco sauce until his eyes water! I often use it as a salad dressing or sauce on cooked veggies. I was enjoying it over a salad for lunch at uni one day as my friends looked on confused 'How can you just eat salad? it's so boring! It doesn't taste of anything!' I simply passed it around so they could all give it taste and watched their faces light up and eyes widen in surprise. Trust me, I never eat anything that tastes of nothing.
Some of my fave flavoured vinegars are the raspberry, tarragon and spiced vinegars pictured above. The raspberry is sweet but not too sweet so works well in desserts as well as in yummy salad dressings. The mixed spice and tarragon vinegars go well with almost anything savory  I've used them in, seriously a splash of vinegar makes everything better!

I know I'm a bit of a vinegar enthusiast but they're really delicious, If you're trying to reduce your fat intake but need flavour in your sauces/dressings they're a really good option. 

Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...