Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Special 'fried rice' and Cinnamon 'rice' pudding

Remember how I was lucky enough to review Slim Me Noodles a while ago? Well they've just introduced a rice version. Just the same as the noodles the rice are made from Konjac Glucomanna (KGM), a water soluble fiber from the (low cal, low carb) root of the Konjac plant (devils tongue yam/elephant yam). I think the new packets are a great improvement!
 I tried out the 'rice' in these recipes...

Special Fried Slim Me Rice (vegan) 
Makes 2 serves
Block of firm tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 bunch asparagus
1 large carrot
1 packet slim me rice
1/2 avocado
1 small eggplant

CURRY POWDER (MILD) - even if you don't make the recipe give this spice mix a try!!!
4 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Pinch of garam masala
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch fennel seed

Pinch of mustard seed
Pinch of cardamon
  • Grind spice mixture in mortar and pestle
  • Slice eggplant into 1.5 cm slices and dry fry until golden and tender
  • Crumble tofu with a fork and dry fry until it has shrunk significantly and begins to turn golden
  • Add spice mixture to tofu and fry off until fragrant
  • Take off the heat and add nutritional yeast
  • Chop asparagus, carrot and eggplant into bite sized pieces
  • Rinse slim me rice well and heat in hot water for 2 mins
  • Combine all ingredients and garnish with avocado
  • Enjoy!

Cinnamon Slim Me Rice Pudding
Makes 2 serves
1 packet slim me rice
1 cup rice milk (or almond/soy/oat milk etc)
2 tbsp flour (wholemeal/besan/rice etc.)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla extract
Stevia to taste
1 punnet strawberries
1 banana
  • Combine milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and stevia
  • Over a low heat rain in flour while stirring
  • Increase temperature to thicken
  • Rinse Slim Me Rice well
  • Add to sauce and leave for 2 mins to heat through
  • Chop fruit
  • Top with fruit
  • Enjoy!

Things I liked:
Low calorie
No gluten
No carb
Filling
Quick cooking
Price
Free Shipping
Organic
BPA free packing
Hold together well while cooking

Things I didn't like: 
I wouldn't eat them alone like you can with rice- I really think they do need some flavour and taste best when cooked with others things to give it some texture (but that's how I like to cook rice too)

It's hard to make fragrant rice dishes that require cooking the rice because you can't overcook it or it goes crunchy. So things like saffron rice or coconut rice are a tad tricky- granted it can be fixed by making the meal's sauce flavour packed and having it with it.

Smell of the liquid they're stored in- but you just rinse it well and they're fine.
Processed- not a whole food. I try to keep my diet whole and use ingredients like these in moderation.

I'm more of a noodle person than a rice person but that's the same with the original too so I still prefer the Slim Me Noodles.

I know for most people this will be redundant but I had some tummy troubles after eating too much of this (4 meals in a row) but I'm insanely sensitive and can't eat a million things (gluten, apples, onions, garlic, cabbage, raw apples, dried dates etc etc etc.)
How do you like to eat your rice? Would you have tried some other recipes?

Love and Smiles,






Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...