Thursday, January 3, 2013

Its time for a Juice Fast!


I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday season and start to the new year. I've been laying low and taking some time to re-evaluate my goals, priorities and desires. I feel that now is the time to re-focus myself and enjoy some down time. I don't have any resolutions as such but a general renewed energy for my life values.

I've decided to start my year with a juice fast. I'm not planning on exerting myself (just enjoying the beach!) and don't have to be back working hard at uni for a couple of months so I think now is the perfect time to begin a juice fast.

I've water and juice fasted often in the past, usually for 3-10 days at a time but I'm curious to see if I can continue this one for longer. In addition to the usual positive differences in my mood, state of mind and body, I have more weight that I would like to shift and while it's not my main goal, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bonus.

I don't want to annoy you with daily updates but I'd like to share this journey so here's a brief recap of my first 3 days (in my opinion the hardest)...

Day 1
The first day is always the hardest. There were many thoughts of food, many questions swirling around my head about the purpose/length/quality of this juicy en devour. Did an almighty amount of produce prep and juicing today. Tried to keep busy around the house and keep my mind off food (not all that easy while editing photos for future blog posts!). Wishing I had an empty house, the cupboards and freezer are calling my name. Peed a LOT today, must have been the extra salt over the holidays. Those little indulgences are the reason for the detox sinus headache, zero energy and sore neck. Worth it?  perhaps...

#1 Apple, wheat grass, cucumber juice
#2 Beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cucumber juice
Should have had more juice...

Day 2 -2.4 kgs
Getting easier, slightly dizzy upon waking but I'm feeling stronger in my conviction although temptation is all around. Having said that I made it through shopping at Costco and going out to dinner with a dear friend. Thank goodness for vegie bar! I did score 1kg packs of spinach and lettuce among many other to juice though! 
I've been thinking a lot about the length of this and potential weight loss today. Numbers keep floating into my mind. Its hard to sweep them back out, this is about how I'm feeling not numbers. 

#1 Pineapple, apple, cucumber juice
#2 Orange, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cuce juice
#3 Orange, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cuce juice
#4 Super Juice at vegie bar (carrot, beetroot, spinach, cucumber)
4 x 500ml juices worked much better, I shall try to keep that up.

Day 3- 3.3 kgs
Day 3 for me always rocks. No dizziness, no more headaches and stacks more energy! Even the hubs has noticed it. As long as I feel this good then I shall continue this juice fast. We went out for lunch and I happily sipped my veggie juices while my husband and father dug in to an assortment of delicious unhealthy food (who am I to deny them a holiday treat). I would not suggest this for others and would avoid it in the first couple of days but I felt confident enough to enjoy a day out. We walked quite a lot today and I had the energy/strength to do some exercise. I'll try to keep it to walking, yoga from now on though.

#1 Pineapple, apple, cucumber juice
#2 2 x Super Juices at vegie bar (carrot, beetroot, spinach, cucumber)
#3 Orange, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cuce juice
#4 Orange, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cuce juice

Now I have some questions for you. Have you/would you/do you juice fast? How long is your optimal fast? What are the benefits you find from fasting?

Love and Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...