Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Interview with Lindsay the Happy Herbivore Abroad & {FREE Recipe!}

I've got a special treat for you all today! You remember how I interviewed Lindsay when her second book 'Everyday Happy Herbivore' came out? Well we're onto book 3! The new 'Happy Herbivore Abroad' is out and I'm happy to say Lindsay agreed to another interview and very generously share one of her new recipes!
If you have no idea who I'm talking about you can find her bio in this post, her blog here and books here. In short, Lindsay's a superstar with low fat, delicious, nutritious vegan recipes.
1. Did you discover any new ingredients through this book?
I focus on using "everyday" ingredients -- things we have in our pantries already, so I didn't really discover or work with anything new in the book. I did try new and different produce during my travels -- like a fruit that looked like an eyeball (and tasted like one too, in my opinion). They assured me it wasn't an eyeball... 

2. How do you explain your food restrictions when ordering overseas?
I carry a phrase book with me so I know the terms for certain foods (like meat, dairy, eggs) as well as how to say vegan or vegetarian. I usually start with vegan. If they don't understand that, I say vegetarian, but no milk, eggs or butter (people forget butter is dairy). I speak French, Spanish and some German in addition to English, which helps a lot. I've also had to result to hand gestures. Whatever it takes!

3. What was your biggest challenge- in the kitchen or otherwise...
Life is a challenge. Each day there are new challenges you overcome.

4. If you could choose, what would your last meal be?
I guess that would depend on my mood. Right now I'd settle for mangos, grown in maui during their natural growing season.

5. Are you going to be writing any more cook books?
I'm writing my fourth cookbook now. I'm contracted to write 6 total, so I'll be busy for a while.

Now, I had the choice of a host of delicious recipes to share with you all, trust me I can not wait until my copy arrives because they ALL sound delicious (It's shipped! amazon says early January so only 5 weeks to go). As tempting as the sweet treats were I went with a healthy, every day meal that I really enjoy and think you'll get more use out of.

African Jollof
Jollof rice, also called “Benachin,” is a popular dish throughout West Africa, particularly in Ghana and Nigeria. Many variations to this dish exist throughout West Africa, but core ingredients include rice, tomato paste, onion, and a medley of vegetables and spices.

Serves 4

¼ c tomato sauce
vegetable broth, as needed
1 small onion, diced small
ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp mild curry powder
2 c frozen mixed vegetables
1½ c cooked brown rice
1 tbsp tomato sauce
(additional) hot sauce, if desired

Pour tomato sauce into a pot, then add enough broth so liquid completely covers the bottom. Add onions, a dash or two cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, and curry powder, then sauté over high heat until translucent—about one minute. Turn heat down to low and add frozen vegetables, stirring to warm them. Continue to cook over low heat and stir frequently until vegetables are warm. Add cooked rice and stir to completely combine. As you are stirring, the rice should take on a dark coloring. Add one more tbsp tomato sauce, plus salt and black pepper to taste. For a spicier dish, add hot sauce to taste.

Per Serving: Calories 161, Total Fat 1.0g, Carbohydrates 33.4g, Dietary Fiber6.3g, Sugars 5.3g, Protein 5.2g

I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did. I really love Lindsay's books and cook from them often so I've decided to share the love- keep your eyes peeled, I'll be hosting another happy herbivore give-away very soon.
Love & Smiles,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...