Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chocolate Apple Butter Rice 'Cake'

What do you do when you feel like a cake but don't have the time or patience to cook one? If you're me, you think outside the box and make a rice cake 'cake'! 

This really hit the spot, the longer you leave it the softer it becomes but I was hungry so it was a combo of softer and crunchy rice cakes. The rich sweetness of the apple butter combined with the intensely creamy coyo (coconut yoghurt) that has a little kick of tartness was just perfect. 

If you're after a sweeter 'cream' substitute feel free to add sweetener to the coyo or make your own out of whipped coconut cream and sweetener- personally I like don't like it *too* sweet but each to their own.. make something that you will love!

Chocolate Apple Butter Rice 'Cake'
Makes 1 large serve (approximately 350 cals or 200 without coyo)
3 tbsp apple butter (apple butter = apple juice pulp + water or grated apple cooked for about a day in a slow cooker with cinnamon, lemon & stevia)
1/2 square grated dark chocolate- feel free to use more but a little goes a long way when you grate it!
3 thick brown rice cakes (get unsalted)
1/4 cup coyo- coconut yoghurt
1/4 cup frozen berries
  • Spread rice cakes thickly with apple butter
  • assemble the stack, rice cake, apple butter, coyo
  • grate chocolate over apple butter
  • garnish with berries and coyo
  • grate extra chocolate over the top
  • Enjoy every mouthful!
I loved this, it was so quick and easy- seriously everything was in the fridge so it was a 3 minute assembly job. My perfect dessert. I know this is an unusual use for rice cakes but it tasted great! What do you like eating on your rice cakes?

All the best,

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Wow that looks so much more incredibly tasty than just having corn thins!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be delicious. :) The rice cake looks like a real big and sweet cake.

    By the way, thank you for your comment on my blog relishmeals.blogspot.com :)
    I like your page and I'm gonna follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never though of this, but believe me, I am converted to the idea now! What a great creation. I am curious about your coyo though - do you make it or buy it? If you make it, can you share? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd love to make my own, perhaps I shall work on that one ;) it can't be too hard right?.. but for now I buy it, you can find it here: http://www.coyo.com.au/products/coconut-milk-yogurt.htm

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, thanks for that link! I had no idea it was in Australia! Very exciting - I will have to see if I can find some near me.

      I'm also stopping back to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster Award (http://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2012/11/fitness-fridays-return-and-liebster.html ) :)

      Delete
  4. I love these semi-homemade recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would totally eat this!! My fave part is there's no cooking required. Totally my kind of recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew there had to be people out there that cook like me :)

      Delete
  6. hey, i just saw your comment - thank you so much, its nice to know someone thought of me :) im ok thanks - i hope all is well with you! ive actually just left blogger - i think its time for me to move on from it. your recipes are still as yummy sounding as ever and i will definitely have to save the link to your blog! i really want to make these rice cakes now :P
    thanks again :)
    lottie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're well! It's lovely to hear from you.
      I know what you mean, I felt similarly when I stopped my other blog and started this one.
      I hope you stay well and happy & if you ever want to chat or need a recipe know I'm here :) xxx

      Delete
  7. Oooh coconut yoghurt! I've never tried that - this may seem like a daft question, but does it taste cocnutty?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not it does! It's not as coconutty as dried coconut or coconut milk but it's definitely a coconut yoghurt, I think the tang offsets quite a bit of it and it's not too sweet so I'd use the plain one in savoury recipes too. If you like coconut give it a go, it's divine.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...