Thursday, October 4, 2012

Vegan MoFo 4- What is Pandan?

Here's a delicious recipe from last year's MoFo- Satay-ish Slim Pasta- enjoy!
What is Pandan?
 Pandan or Pandanus is a tropical plant leaf that is mainly used as a flavouring in Asian desserts. You can find it frozen in your local Asian grocer and usually fresh if you're lucky. The most common use (in Australia at least) is Pandan cake but it can be used in many sweet and some savoury dishes.
 You can also find pandan essence- be warned, there are good and bad essences just like vanilla- stay away from the thick syrupy neon green version, they're full of artificial nasties, but if you can find one that looks like this it's pretty good.
 
When you're using pandan you need to bruise it to release the yummy flavour- trying it in knots like this is an easy way to do so. The alternative is blending the leaves with water then straining the mixture in a nut milk bag, cheesecloth or stocking. You get more flavour this way but it's much more effort- your call.. personally I go for knots.
Here are some of my yummy pandan recipes
I really really hope you give pandan a try- no matter what form, it's one of my favourite flavours and is great for a change from vanilla!
All the best,







Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Pandan until this post! Thanks for all the info, Claire! Now I'm curious to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's used in sweets more than savoury food but I've only ever used pandan leaves in Sri Lankan curries which I adore.

    I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I should give it a try in a dessert one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a vegan restaurant nearby that serves bright green pandan cake. I wasn't brave enough to try it the first time, but I definitely want to go back to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...