Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vegan MoFo 2- What are bean sprouts? bean shoots?

If you're new to veganism you can read about my journey in last year's MoFo post about my family/friends reactions to my decision to turn vegan here
What are Bean sprouts? Bean shoots?
Firstly, the same thing! and secondly they're sprouted soy or mung beans. They're an Asian vegetable like ingredient mainly used in stir-fries. They're crisp and light, can be eaten raw or cooked and only take minutes to soften but are relatively bland so I suggest adding them to a flavourful dish. They're cheap as chips, have very few calories (1 cup = 30 cals) and are great for you! If you're yet to try them I highly recommend adding them to noodle dishes, stir-fries and spring or rice paper rolls. Try to get only as much as you need for a couple of days because they taste best super fresh and tend to spoil as quickly as fresh leafy veg.
I love eating bean sprouts, they appear in my meals frequently. Here are some of my recipes which feature them.
I hope you give these a try. You can go all out and sprout your own or just grab a handful from the shops- either way I hope you enjoy!
All the best,







Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love sprouts - I love to have them in my salad or as a extra topping for my sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...