Monday, October 29, 2012

I love my Pressure Cooker

Next to our knives the pressure cooker is the most used wedding gift we received. It makes me life so much easier and significantly cuts down the time I spend cooking. If you're yet to venture into the world of pressure cookers I highly suggest you do.
We have an electronic pressure cooker which works wonderfully because I can chuck stuff on and leave the house.
This is what my pressure cooker looks like: (by the way, no one asked me to write this post- I just finished cooking a great batch of grains and thought I'd share my time saving tips and record my cooking times incase I forget them!) 
The best advice I can give anyone is leave it to steam after cooking! There will be a 'keep warm' setting or something like it, if not just turn it off and let the pressure release naturally. This makes for perfectly cooked, fluffy, separate grains.

I really appreciate my pressure cooker, I use it mainly for beans and lentils and grains but it also makes great soups and stews for when time is limited and slow cooking isn't an option. Here are some of the cooking times I use:
High Pressure with natural pressure release

Brown rice 
Water ratio of 1:2 for 15 mins 
1cup =  2 cups- 4 x 1/2cup serves

White rice 
1:1.5 for 4 mins 
2cups = 6 cups- 6 x 1cup serves (obviously the hubs eats these)

Quinoa 
1:2 for 6 mins 
1cup = 3.5 cups- 7 x 1/2cup serves

Millet 
1:2.5 for 3- 10 mins 
1cup = 3.5 cups- 7 x 1/2cup serves

Buckwheat 
1:2 for 5 mins 
1cup = 2 cups- 4 x 1/2cup serves

Beans- 10-15 mins

Lentils- 5-10 mins

Chickpeas- 15 mins
The quantity you're cooking will alter the cooking times (more food, longer time) but once you get to know your cooker you can adjust to your needs.
The other thing I like to do is cook grain mixes- I like buckwheat, quinoa, cinnamon/cacao and stevia to eat with berries for breakfasts and savoury mixed like- millet, buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa with herbs and spices. Whatever you do you can always save time by batch cooking. I cook in large batches (2 cups raw at a time usually) then portion and freeze them so I can just pull them out in the morning/the night before and have grains all ready for that day's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I use my pressure cooker very regularly and consider it a great investment (and awesome gift) Our soups, stews, lentil dishes, beans, dips and grains taste all the better because of it. It is in no way essential but when people ask about tips to make eating yummy vegan food easier this would be one thing I would suggest.

Happy pressure cooking!
All the best,







Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...