Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jackfruit & Mushroom Curry

I love black fungus, I love young green jackfruit. I was staring at the cupboards the other evening wondering what on earth I was going to cook for dinner and I thought- why not try them together? Granted it's not a traditional dish but it tastes delicious and makes me happy. I know my food looks crazy to a lot of people but don't knock it till you try it!

This curry has no added fat, a tomato base and a bucketload of flavour without being too hot. There's a little kick but the main flavours come through first, just the way I like it. If your'e so inclined it would taste lovely with a grain like brown rice or quinoa but I had it with extra green veggies (broccoli and green beans). 

Jackfruit and Mushroom Curry
Makes 3 large serves
1 x 680ml jar passata (canned tomatoes or tomato paste and water would work too)
1 x 550g can young green jackfriut
3 cups (dried) black fungus/ wood ear mushrooms
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tomato curry spice mix (1 tbsp cloves, 1 tbsp cardamon, 1/2 tsp asafetida, 2 tbsp garam masala, 2 tbsp tomato powder/dehydrated tomato)
  • Rehydrate black fungus mushrooms in hot water (approximately 15 mins)
  • drain and chop young green jackfruit
  • chop mushrooms into bite size strips
  • combine all ingredients & simmer until tender (to your liking 10-20 mins)
  • add any other vegetables you desire (pictured with 1 cup broccoli & 1 cup green beans) and cook until tender
  • Serve with additional vegetables and/or whole grains like quinoa/brown rice/millet
  • Enjoy!
  • (keeps well in the fridge for 3 days..well that's how long mine lasted me)
Hope you're not too scared by new ingredients- they're completely worth a try!
All the best,
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I've never used jack fruit b4...but I certainly am gonna give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds so delicious! i've never tried jack fruit, but it sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much to my chagrin, I've never eaten jackfruit eithe r- I've no idea if you can even get it in the UK. Do you eat it fresh or tinned?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...