Monday, December 5, 2011

Vegan Christmas Vent

I was really excited about Christmas. I was (am?) planning on cooking a feast- buffet style with lots of variety so everyone will be able to find something they love. I made the menu after looking through many many recipes, I decided on the table decorations, I was going to make cute little name cards. I wanted it to be a vegan showcase. I had hope because last year I brought these salads and they went down so well they wanted recipes but perhaps it was just them being polite. 

But now my family is rebelling. 'Is Claire still vegan?' yes... ok we'll bring proper food then.

They're bringing an antipasto plate, ham, chicken, and cake. So it looks like they trust me to make... salad. Because we all know that that's all vegans eat. 

I hate this. I offer to cook a wonderful Christmas meal for my family and they don't even want to try it. How do you know you don't like things if you don't try them? I don't even want to go now. I don't want to put up a tree. I don't want to deal with the smell of meat and watching others eat. I don't want my Christmas to be that. I'm already thinking of ways to get out of it for next year. I don't want presents, as a child I never thought I'd say that but it's true. I'd prefer to stay home and cook for people that appreciate it. You know you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends- maybe I should ditch the family and invite my friends over for Christmas instead. I like that idea. A post-Christmas Christmas with friends, food and fun. 

That sound harsh but I should clarify- I've met my family less than 20 times. I grew up in the UK so I've only known them for about 12 yrs and of that we see them maybe twice a year. It's not really a normal family dynamic. 

I'm turning into a grinch. I know I need to grow up and accept that people will always have problems accepting anything different but I just didn't think it would be this bad.
I guess I just need to make food for me and not place any value in what they think of it or if they try it. I may need to make a lot of freezer & fridge space for the left overs... that's if I still do it. 

How are your Christmas plans progressing?
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Been there, done that! I totally relate. While both of our families are accommodating and (mostly) accepting of us being vegan, there are times that are very frustrating. We try to just get together now without having it revolve around food. That seems to make things much easier. However, there usually is some food around, but over time we've noticed that it's more & more vegan, so there's hope! The holidays, though, I would skip completely if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i am sorry, i hate that. WIsh i could come and make vegan food with you and share it during christmas. Just bake what you like for you and enjoy it anyway.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they just need more time. My family, as beef and dairy farmers, used to be very opposed to me being vegetarian and now vegan, but now they are becoming more supportive and starting to try foods I cook. My whole family even ate the cake I made for my mom for her birthday. It looks a lot like the recipe in your last post, except I think it was raw. Maybe you could tell them that you really wanted to cook for them and show them what the menu was going to be.
    I agree with you about the presents and everything. For me, Christmas is about being with the people you love. If that's your friends, then that's who you should put all that effort into cooking for! (But maybe still see your family too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so frustrating isn't it? People always assume that they are going to be STARVING after a vegetarian/vegan meal too - because meat is the be all and end all, obviously! I always get the 'what's this? rabbit food!?' comments too. bah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really sad that your family are behaving like that.. Kind of rude to be honest..

    But this sort of sounds a whole lot like my family.. They assume things that aren't event close to the reality..

    There is something I learned while I was planning our wedding and that is to let your self be heard.

    If your family wants to join your in your plans- they need to respect the way you do things, and IF you fail then they can take over next year..

    And something that makes me really sad is that it seems like ALL people focus on during Christmas, new years and thanks giving is food.. Presents and just random things.. No one seem to remember WHY we gather.. WHY we do these things and so on..

    Anywho.. I hope things turn out OK.. Don't let others lack of facts ruin your day/week - Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel!! I don't even mention the word vegan when I cook for my family now; it makes them assume they will hate it. Typical. This year for Christmas my I told my family that I am actually going to cook a proper vegan main dish, and not just settle for sides. They looked at me like I was nuts (yes, there is more to my diet than salad and steamed veg).

    Ignorance may be bliss, but it still hurts everyone else. You don't have to please everyone, but at least do what's right for you, especially for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww thats not fair of your family :/ cant you tell them just to bring one meaty thing and say you just really really wanted to cook for them? and promise its not all salad :P

    its a really good idea though :) i might ask to cool the new years meal, to make sure its healthy :) id never be allowed to cook the christmas meal, because my family love yorkshire puddings and goose fat roast potatoes :/ at least i can try to make one meal healthy :) ill only be eating veg, fish and maybe some veggie stuffing for christmas anyway :)

    i dont know my family very well either as far as aunts and uncles go :/ i think you should cook what you want to cook and not care what they think - its your christmas too :)
    lottie x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...