Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Baked Macaroni 'cheese'

I made this for my darling husband as a yummy hearty vegan dinner to show how amazed and impressed I was that he decided to do the November Vegan Easy Challenge. I said nothing- it was his idea and I am ecstatic! He's doing very well too. Although he's developed an addiction to vegan sausages that is rather expensive. Sill, I'm happy to get them if he's healthier for it. 

Granted this isn't something I would usually eat (and shouldn't because it hurts my tummy) but a small serve with veggies didn't kill me. It was nice to eat the same meal as the other half once in a blue moon. If I wasn't making it for the one who hates vegetables I would have added some veg puree (carrot/spinach/zucchini) into the sauce and peas in the bake. But you can always do a separate salad or veg dish to serve it with.

Baked Macaroni 'cheese'
It's like digging for treasure... or an avalanche!
mmm crunchy topping...
and all the goodness inside!
Makes 6 serves
1 packet macaroni (gluten free, corn, buckwheat, vegetable, rice etc)
Sauce:
1 packet silken tofu
2.5 cups light soy milk
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tbsp dijon mustard
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
Optional Topping:
4 slices of bread
  • preheat oven to 180
  • cook pasta
  • combine sauce ingredients in a pot
  • warm through
  • blend with a stick blender/bamix
  • drain pasta
  • combine sauce with pasta in casserole dish--- if you want to stop at this point it tastes awesome already here...but the extra makes is special.
  • tear up bread into tiny bits
  • top pasta with bread
  • bake at 180 until the top is golden
  • enjoy this wonderfully filling pasta bake!
The tofu in the sauce makes this much more filling than normal pasta, you get full quicker and stay full longer. Win-win. You can easily make this gluten free by using gluten free pasta and bread or if you want the flavour for less carbs calories then just make the sauce to go over some veggies! It would taste wonderful as cauliflower 'cheese' mmm.

Hope you have a wonderful day and have a chance to get outside, I know I will after being stuck inside working for so long!

All the best xxxx
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Finally blogger has relented and allowed me to visit! This recipe looks DELICIOUS! That husband of yours is one lucky man. I find it hilarious that he is being a bit vegan - long may it last!

    Looking forward to catching up, sweety. Keep up the wonderful posts :)

    Lots of love,
    Adeline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I totally love the sound of this - it's on the dinner menu next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! I hope it gets the toddler seal of approval, or at least you and viper enjoy it and get extras :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...