Saturday, October 29, 2011

VeganMOFO-19 & Sugar!

Converting/helping others on their journey to vegetarianism is seen as a responsibility by some veggies and is generally the fear of omnivores. Whilst I feel the pressure to make the facts known and help others become conscious eaters, I don't think it's ever necessary to be rude or hostile (even if others are rude to you about being veg!) I believe if you are honest and open about your beliefs people will know where to come when they are ready. When they have questions or concerns they'll know you're friendly and happy to help but won't feel any negative pressure. This is what has been working for me, I'm sure being pushy gets the point across too but I fear it may alienate more than it encourages. If you can simply inform others about things (preferably not as they're eating) and be helpful but not pushy their journey to vegetarianism or even more conscious eating will progress. If we can understand that everyone will progress at different speeds and that what is right for one person may not be right for others the mutual respect can ignite conversation and education. If at times you become frustrated while helping others understand your views think back to a time when you were not vegetarian/vegan, you were once in their shoes. Respect their right to have a differing opinion, even if it may not seem right to you they will always be entitled to their opinion and deserve the same respect as anyone else (this should go without saying but from past experiences I feel it must be written). If you expect people to respect your decisions, you must respect theirs. Accept that they have a different view (at this point in time?) and continue the discussion. If your communication breaks down and it is no longer a positive situation for either of you- walk away. People can get very defensive and angry if they're not ready to take in the information you can offer so taking small steps is often the best way to go. All in all I believe if you offer small amounts of information and then let people come to you the best respectful discussions can occur. Don't be the crazy vegan who tells people horror stories as their eating their burgers and don't be the person who asks the vegan if they'd eat human flesh. Stay civil people!

Now- onto the sweet stuff! :) I think sugar is a peril to our health but despite that I value my metal health over the perceived perfection of eating habits. Plus if you can eat well 95% of the time why not enjoy yourself the other 5%? When you're trying to convince someone to go veg I'd say don't limit the fat, salt of sugar as they transition!

Sugar with a side of sugar and some extra sugar
Drops- Pomegranate, cherry, blueberry, strawberry (pictured on the right)
I think they're all awesome but my preferences go strawberry, blueberry, pomegranate, cherry. They're not too fake. I like the strength of flavour without the artificial kick.
Lollypops- strawberry, raspberry & blueberry
I like them in the order of strawberry, raspberry, blueberry
Drops- watermelon, mango, pomegranate, lime
The lime is amazing! Definitely my favourite but then I like sour things. So for these i'd choose lime, mango, watermelon, pomegranate.

What are the things you guys indulge in? Do you agree with the 95%/5% mentality?

Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend! xxx
Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...