Monday, September 5, 2011

Dessert Weekend!

After not being hungry for the best part of 2 weeks I finally found my appetite last weekend.. and that meant I finally felt like cooking! (Although I didn't get around to posting it until this weekend- oops! busy life) All in all it was an indulgent affair- I couldn't decide what I wanted so I just kept cooking! most of it is hiding in the freezer now as I am completely over it. I think it had more than a little to do with the fact it was that time of the month and I hadn't had chocolate in months. Here's a peak at the yumminess 
Proper food first! Veggie before pudding :)
I forget what this one was... its been too long, I'm going to guess at a broccoli, spinach and millet stirfry.. most likely had some soy, ginger, chili in it.
Millet and Broccoli in Turmeric Seed Sauce
1 small head of Broccoli
1 cup cooked millet
Sauce:
handful of Cashew nuts
1tbsp chia seeds
1tbsp flax seeds
paw paw seeds (or black pepper) to taste
1 tsp turmeric
3 cups stock
  • Grind seeds
  • add all sauce ingredients
  • let sit for an hour or so to thicken
  • cook millet
  • chop broccoli
  • add everything and cook until the broccoli is tender
  • enjoy!
This was so satisfying, tasted wonderful and was packed full of flavour- I must make it again! If you're new to millet give it a go- its more starchy that quinoa but not as heavy as rice and it doesn't hurt my tummy like pasta. Good all round! and you can make it sweet or savory, hot or cold, aldente or mushy, in baking or as a side. 


Chocolate nut 'Fudge' Strawberries
... and some normal ones to balance it out!


(this makes enough to coat 2 big punnets of strawberries but I only did one so I could make fudge hearts)
1 big punnet of strawberries
5 tbsp cacao powder
8 tbsp sunflower seed butter
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp chocolate essence
Stevia if needed- I didn't but just taste it and see
  • melt sunflower seed butter over a bain marie
  • add cacao powder, lemon, choc essence
  • stir well
  • when combined dip strawberries in and leave to set in the fridge
  • *remember to use baking paper/non stick mat* I forgot and there was some mess getting them of the plate... not that that mattered, it was fun to clean up!
  • Leave to set in fridge for 1 hr
  • Serve with coconut cream and vanilla paste
  • Enjoy with a bubbly drink for complete indulgence :)

I used my intentional left overs to make..

'Fudge' Hearts
Just using a little heart shaped ice cube maker in the fridge I made the left overs into cacao, coconut, sunflower seed 'fudge' pieces. Yum Yum Yum. Rich, indulgent and satisfying.
Another recent addition to my fridge is 


Beetroot Hummus
1 tbsp vinegar
Warm water to drizzle in (1 cup ish?)
4 tbsp tahini 
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 lemon juice and rind
2 cups cooked baby beetroots and some of their liquid (I used tinned, bad I know)
  • cook the chickpeas 
  • blend all ingredients while drizzling in the warm water to combine
I used it in my lunches of buckwheat crackers, sprouts, 2 kinds of hummus, baby spinach and rocket. Fresh, filling and lovely with all the fun of construction!


Next on the agenda was cake!


Choc-Spiced Oat and Almond Cake
Choc-Spiced Oat and Almond Cup-cakes
Makes 6 cup cakes and 1 mini cake
3 cups Rolled Oats
10 mejool dates (remove stones)
5 tbsp cacao powder
5 handfuls almonds
1/2 cup ground chia seeds
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
5 tsp chocolate essence
water to desired consistency (approx 2 cups?)
1/2 cup coconut + extra for sprinkles
6 tbsp mixed spices
  • Preheat oven to 180
  • grind flax and chia seeds
  • process rolled oats
  • add cacao powder, coconut, choc essence and mixed spices
  • remove stones from dates and add to food processor
  • add almonds now for more texture or grind with the seeds for a smoother texture
  • drizzle in water (keep fairly dry)
  • spoon into tins
  • sprinkle with coconut
  • bake at 180 for 45 minutes or until the coconut is browning
  • Serve with coconut cream and vanilla paste

Add an extra 1/2 cup coconut to the left overs to make a dryer consistency that will hold together then roll into balls and refrigerate...
Ok that is quite enough recipes for one post, sorry its taken so long. Hopefully I'll be able to post more regularly now I'm back at uni more. 

I hope you're all well and smiley- I'm getting there, life's been a challenge lately.. I just need to remind myself that I am a wonderful person capable of making my own luck. Let the challenges wash over me without taking any of me with them... well that's the plan anyway.

All the best with whatever your day brings you, lots of love xxx
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm drooling! Well, dribbling. Men drool, ladies dribble. Either way, YUM.

    Kisses,
    Adeline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stir fry looks wonderful. You've inspired me to try millet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...