Monday, August 8, 2011

Buckwheat breakfasts, Blueberry Sauce & Baked Bean Salad

So I think I'm more of a weekly poster during uni... homework/work takes it out of me and the little time/energy I have left disappears with exercise, family & friends... and you know cleaning and cooking! So, the time left for entertainment is minimal.. I'd say sorry but I'm not- I think my priorities are right :)

I made this breakfast the other day. Peanut butter + banana is a great combo but personally I think it would taste even better with almond butter! That's next on my list of things to try out.
Peanut Butter and Banana Buckwheat
1/2 cup Buckwheat
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water
stevia to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 banana
  • Cook the buckwheat with cinnamon, vanilla and stevia
  • When tender stir through peanut butter and serve with chopped banana.

Blueberry Sauce
(pictured on the buckwheat below)
4 cups blueberries
1 cup lite coconut cream
stevia to taste (optional)
  • combine ingredients in a pot
  • reduce on a medium heat until it reaches a jammy consistency (this will depend on how much water is in your fruit)
  • Enjoy with cereal, desserts, as a dip, in a salad dressing, whatever takes your fancy!
I'm really enjoying my buckwheat breakfasts these days, I much prefer the more solid texture. It tastes lovely with every combination I've tried so far :)

Buckwheat with Blueberries, banana and coconut
2/3 cup Buckwheat cooked with cinnamon, vanilla and stevia (cold)
2 tbsp Blueberry sauce (recipe above)
1/2 banana
1 tbsp coconut
1/2 tbsp ground chia seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • Combine cold buckwheat, chia and flax seeds
  • add blueberry sauce, banana and coconut and enjoy!
This is a dry cereal breakfast (we were out of milk!) but it didn't taste bad at all. Feel free to add some milk for a more traditional cereal breaky. 

I'm still loving my spiral cutter, it makes me smile and my veggies more interesting... This salad is a good dinner, filling, quick, easy, satisfying and healthy. Love it! and if you haven't tried cold baked beans don't turn your nose up until you've given it a go ;)


Baked Bean Salad

1/2 can organic baked beans (cold)
1/2 avocado
handful of snap peas
handful cherry tomatoes
1 stick of celery
handful of sprouts
1 bunch of watercress
handful of sprouted lentils
1 carrot
3 mushrooms
  • chop, mix and enjoy!
Hope you all have a wonderful day xxx
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Thank u! You saved the day! I was writing a food plan for myself and I couldn't think of anything yummy to have for lunch. But now I can't wait to eat the baked bean salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buckwheat looks great - I've yet to make buckwheat period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's years since I ate cold baked beans - but maybe I should try again:)

    The blueberries look delicious, and I just love pancakes made with all kinds of flours, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...