Monday, July 11, 2011

Measuring food & Cereals

I've been trying to eat well and recover but I've managed to come down with a bad cold too! It feels like I've been sick forever- I've never dreamed about running and swimming and dancing and jumping so much.. I honestly can't wait to get back to normal exercise, at the moment just looking after the house is enough to drain me. I've been making healthy choices and eating until I'm satisfied but not overfull but have still managed to gain weight, I'm hoping its salt/water bloating and the body adjusting to food again and being sick but who knows. I'm just trying not to stress about it and focusing on happy thoughts.

In other news I got some new measuring cups and spoons- they're pretty and pink!
I've decided I need to start measuring my portions and recording what I eat again. I've got a rough plan. I think I've been lacking in the protein department so I'm working on that and getting enough water... also I'm really bad with eating regular meals so I'm going to do my best to eat 3 meals a day. How are you guys with eating times? I find that some days I can easily not eat until dinner and others I'm dying for breakfast. So here's the plan based on this advice. Any comments or advice are more than welcome.

Breakfast-300
Tea
1/2 cup protein
2/3 cup carbs
1 cup rice/soy milk
1/2 tbsp chia/flax seeds
1/2 cup fruit
Morning Tea (if hungry)-100
Tea
1 Fruit or 2 Veg
Lunch-400
1/2 cup protein
2/3 cup carbs
2-4 cups veggies
1/4 tbsp fat (if required for cooking)
Arvo Tea (if hungry)-100
Tea
1 Fruit or 2 Veg
Dinner-400
1/2 cup protein
2/3 cup carbs
2-4 cups veggies
1/4 tbsp fat (if required for cooking)
Dessert (if hungry)-200
Tea
1 Fruit or/and 
1 serve nuts 
1 small treat etc
Total cals 1100-1500 depending on hunger/activity levels. 

In cooking news I made a healthy protein/coconut/chocolate/almond loaf but it needs perfecting. I think it was the biggest baking disaster I've ever had, it was so dense and heavy that it didn't cook all the way through- even after 2 hrs! It was the first time I'd used coconut flour and protein powder instead of flour flour, I'll keep trying because they taste awesome... I resorted to slicing it and re-baking. It tastes good so at least nothing was wasted. I made some chocolate sauce/custard to go with it from coconut oil, soy milk, stevia, vanilla, no egg. I like it but I think it needs some tweaking too. Stay tuned and I'll try and get a decent recipe up. So instead here are a couple of my attempts at healthy breakfasts!

Oats and Puffed Amaranth with frozen berries
1 cup rice milk
1/2 tbsp ground chia seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cups puffed amaranth
1/2 cup frozen berries
  • combine and enjoy as a hearty refreshing breakfast (or lunch or dinner for that matter)
I found the puffed amaranth to be a little lacking in texture and I'm not the biggest oat fan (texture not taste) thus trying to eat it with other things... so I grabbed some other puffs and tried again...

Overnight Oats and puffed grains with fruit
1 cup soy milk (malt free organic)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tbsp ground chia seeds
2/3 cup puffed mixed grains (buckwheat, brown rice, millet etc)
1/2 cup thawed berries & banana
  • combine chia, oats and milk and refrigerate overnight
  • pull out the frozen fruit and refrigerate to thaw
  • in the morning add puffed grains and stir through
  • add thawed fruit or warm through if you're cold
  • enjoy!
This is thick, rich, creamy and filling. Its so creamy next time I might cut the milk with some water... but I still feel like my breakfasts are lacking texture. It may be time to try making my own granola! or adding crunchy fruit like apples or some nuts. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Any suggestions are always more than welcome! 
All the best xxx
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. i want to hear more about the coconut/chocolate loaf. Sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. Sucks being sick. And I've yet to try amaranth puffed or otherwise. I'm with Lindsay, interested in that loaf!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...