Monday, July 18, 2011

Berry Buckwheat Porridge

I was getting a little sick of oats so I thought I'd try something different. I'd only had buckwheat as a savoury dish before but they work surprisingly well sweet too. They have an earthy hearty flavour so you do need to use more of any additional flavours. This recipe works well with quinoa too. 

Berry Buckwheat Porridge
Makes 2 serves
1  cup buckwheat
1.5 cups water
2 cups frozen berries
4 tsp cinnamon
10 drops stevia
1 tsp vanilla paste
  • Roast in pot buckwheat for approximately 5 minutes whilst stirring
  • add water, cinnamon and stevia
  • boil until all water is absorbed (15 mins?)
  • add vanilla, berries and cook until thawed
  • enjoy!
I just sort of threw everything together and tasted as I went, next time I might add more vanilla and some more cinnamon at the end but if you want a yummy breakfast where all the flavours blend together in a wonderful combo but you can't identify them separately the above are the right quantities for you!


Herb and Dijon Dressing
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup water
handful of parsley
handful of mint
1/2 lemon - juice and rind
  • combine warm water and dijon mustard
  • chop herbs
  • zest lemon
  • stir though herbs and lemon
  • Enjoy in moderation (its strong!) over a salad or with veggies.
Lunch was a lovely salad lightly dressed in the above
Dinner was spicy carrot and chickpea soup again- yum yum yum :)
Today was a mighty productive day at home, it started with the dishes, doing my nails, doing the gardening- yes in that order, silly me!... made the dressing above for lunch, exercised (yoga/pilates/cardio/weights), went through the entire house looking for things to chuck out in the hard waste collection. We got rid of heaps! there were lots of broken things and things the charity shop won't take, although I managed to find some- so I now have a charity shop pile too. It feels SO much better getting things out of our tiny little apartment. I played tetris with my cupboards and draws and managed to free up two whole kitchen shelves , half a kitchen bench (much needed prep space!) and two bedroom draws. Going up and down the mini step ladder and lifting the heavy things from the high shelves was another workout in itself! Needless to say I was eagerly awaiting my dinner! and I'm actually contemplating some of these 
that I have hiding away in the freezer for dessert later...
Hope you have all had happy and productive days too! xxx
Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...