Friday, June 3, 2011

Pretty new place mats!

Sorry this took me so long to post, life's been a challenge lately... hopefully after my exam on Wednesday I'll have the time to cook properly and photograph it!

I got some new place mats and plates. I like them, they make me feel happy sitting down to eat, even if I'm alone. This was last nights dinner, doesn't it look lovely? I'm making an effort to sit at the table for meals (instead of eating whilst working or watching tv) and I think this will really help. Also the plates are nice and small to make sure I don't eat too much :)
Please excuse the non- traditional nature of this dish.... in case you didn't know by now I tend to throw whatever I've got together. Regardless this tasted amazing and I will definitely be making it again- especially since broccoli is now in season!! :) 

Curried broccoli
Makes 1 serve
8 tbsp coconut milk (lite) don't worry, it only comes to 66 cals
baby piece of fresh turmeric
same sized piece of fresh galengal
1 spring onion
1 garlic clove
salt to taste
1 small head of broccoli
1/4 cup water (ish)
  • Chop onion, garlic, turmeric, galengal 
  • Dry Fry until fragrant
  • add coconut milk
  • Chop broccoli
  • Add stalks and water
  • 2 mins later add broccoli tops
  • keep covered and allow to steam until cooked (4 mins?)
  • enjoy!
Stuffed eggplant
Makes 2 serves
1 eggplant
1/2 cup chopped assorted dried mushrooms
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup enoki mushrooms
1 cup soaked TVP (1/2 cup dried)
Fresh Coriander
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 clove garlic
1 spring onion
2 tbsp 'beef' stock powder
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
  • Pre heat oven to 180
  • Halve eggplant lengthwise
  • crosshatch inner side of eggplant and spoon out the center (leaving 1cm ish around the edge)
  • chop mushrooms, onion and garlic
  • dry fry onion and garlic
  • add tomato paste, fry off
  • add water, stock powder, TVP and dried mushrooms
  • Combine and allow dried mushrooms to plump up
  • Chop and add the inner eggplant, soy sauce
  • Cook until eggplant is soft and mixture reduced
  • Add enoki mushrooms and coriander stalks
  • Fill eggplant halves
  • sprinkle with nutritional yeast
  • Bake at 180 for 45 mins or until soft and browning
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy!
Potato and Green veg soup
Makes 5 serves
1 head of broccoli
1 Zucchini
1 medium Potato
2 cups 'chicken' Stock 
pepper to taste
  • Chop vegetables
  • Add potato, stock pressure cooker/pot and cook until soft (10 mins)
  • Add green veg and continue cooking until soft (5 mins)
  • Blend and season to taste.
Dumplings
Makes 150 dumplings (4 = 1 serve)
4 tbsp laksa paste
150 wanton wrappers
2 cups dried TVP
2 cups cooked quinoa
4 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup tomato paste
S and P to taste
  • soak TVP
  • fry off laksa paste and tomato paste
  • chop mushrooms
  • add mushrooms, TVP and quinoa
  • cook until mushrooms break down and it becomes a paste
  • season to taste
  • spoon 1 tsp into each dumpling wrapper and make whatever shape you wish! I went with these because they're easy and look cute, just fold it into a triangle then wrap it round on each other

Dumpling Noodle soup
Makes 2 serves
1 bunch choy sum
1/8th pack of mung bean vermicelli
8 dumplings (recipe above)
handful of bean shoots
handful of enoki mushrooms
2 tsp chicken stock
boiling water (kettle)
1 tsp miso paste
1/2 tsp chilli oil
1 tsp soy sauce
  • roughly chop vegetables
  • combine boiling water, stock powder, miso paste, soy and chili oil
  • add choy sum stalks and cook for 3 mins
  • add all other veg and bean noodles
  • stir and when noodles are softened add dumpling
  • simmer for 5 minutes and serve! 
  • I cook this in the pot pictured above and its so convenient but I'm sure it will be just as good in a pot!
So this is what I've been eating... its almost the holidays (one exam to go!) so I should be able to post more yummy food more often! :) 

Hope you give these a go or give you some ideas xxx
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. It's all good! You're right, a diet free from processed, non-vegan foods is definitely the healthiest. It's one of those cases where I know what I should do and I don't do it. I've been a vegetarian for several years now and ate a vegan diet for a few months last year and going back to that would probably be a great choice.
    You have so many delicious looking (and healthy!) recipes on here. The dumplings and the curried broccoli look awesome. I'm going to try a few of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...