Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mushroom Quinoa & Sun-dried tomato Hummus

I finally ate an interesting meal last night! It was wonderful, I missed food so much. I had dreams about crunchy fresh salads and juicy fruit. 

Mushroom Quinoa
Makes 1 serve
3 swiss brown mushrooms
1 cup cooked quinoa
chives
garlic
1/2 avocado
1/2 cup stock
  • cook quinoa (1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water)
  • chop garlic and mushrooms
  • combine quinoa and stock
  • add garlic and mushrooms
  • cook until tender
  • add chives
  • serve and add avocado cold on top (or if you like it warm stir it through)

Sun-dried tomato Hummus
(the photo won't upload- you all know what hummus looks like, this just has a red tint)
Makes enough to freeze! (15 serves?)
2 cups drained sun-dried tomatoes
6 capers
1 cup tahini
3 cups warm water
8 cups cooked chickpeas
  • cook chickpeas for 15 minutes on high in the pressure cooker (or you can use canned)
  • blend tomatoes and capers
  • add tahini and half the water, blend
  • add chickpeas and blend whilst drizzling in the rest of the water
  • enjoy with crackers, veggie sticks, or thinned as a sauce or dressing.
I've been wondering, what constitutes a food 'treat'? A treat for me is dried fruit or a desert made with nuts/chocolate/coconut oil/coconut cream. A treat is something more expensive from the health food store or a meal out. I have them in small amounts quite regularly (3 times a week?) What constitutes a treat for you? I often get questioned about my 'restrictive' diet from friends who view weekly mcdonalds trips as a treat or who seem to think one day a week is ok to splurge on everything processed under the sun and call it a treat. I can understand how they might see my diet as restrictive but I certainly don't, so I'm curious, what do you all consider a food treat? and how often do you have treats?

Hope you're all having a wonderful day! xxx
Pin It

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...