Sunday, February 27, 2011

Muffins, Soup & Salad!

Sorry I've been a bit lax with blogging- uni's busy! and being sick it's taken a lot out of me. I think the cold's on its way out though, well I was feeling a little better today at least! But unfortunately I've given it to my husband so today we made some muffins to cheer him up (and get him to eat vegetables!) I hope you give them a try, its the first time I've made them so I'll continue to fine tune the recipe but they're lovely, not too sweet and much more satisfying than most baked goods.

Carrot and Walnut Muffins
Makes 12 (or 6 huge!)
1.25 cups oat milk
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla paste (or extract)
1 cup shredded carrot
zest of 1 orange (I didn't have any so I added 1/2 tsp orage extract)
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • Pre heat the oven to 180 C
  • Combine wet ingredients
  • Sieve in dry ingredients, mix
  • Stir through carrot and nuts
  • Spray paper muffin case and fill to the top (this mixture doesn't rise as much as others)
  • Bake for 25 mins (35 if you have an ancient oven like us)
These smell amazing when they're baking! the ginger and cinnamon are slightly unconventional for sweets but they work so well! Seriously, I'm going to try some changes and keep you updated (I'm planning on trying a lower cal/fat version for me)
And some more salads because, well I eat them so much! Whats not to love about salads? you can add whatever you fancy and they're fresh, healthy & always give you heaps of energy!
Cabbage and Bean Salads
Carrot
Red cabbage
Lettuce
Cannellini beans
Basil infused Chardonay vinegar
Avocado (left pic)
Almonds (right pic)
Ground chia seeds (right pic)
  • Chop ingredients, combine
  • Dress
  • Enjoy!
Chickpea and corn soup is quickly becoming my favourite, I love the thick creamy consistency you get by blending chickpeas. This meal can be done in literally 5 minutes- if you boil the kettle, open cans & blend- how can you go wrong!? If you haven't guessed this is another one of my 'its late just got home from uni stuffed and hungry' meals. But when it tastes this good it's perfect for any meal- I'd even serve it to guests. mmm soup...

Chickpea, Corn, Sage and Chive Soup
Makes 2 serves (or one huge thick one as pictured)
1 can organic corn
1 can organic chickpeas
4 sage leaves
2 tbsp chopped chives
3 cups stock
  • Combine all ingredients (except herbs) and blend
  • Heat
  • Stir in herbs before serving
  • Enjoy!
Hope you're all eating well and smiling :) xxx
Pin It

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...