Sunday, December 5, 2010

Watermelon Rind Tom Yum Soup

Quick and easy recipe- my first shot at a watermelon rind dish and I think it went quite well if I do say so myself. I cheated somewhat and used this paste, but it's yummy so I don't care! 

Watermelon rind is surprisingly filling- yay for water and fiber! I have no idea of the calories but seriously whole watermelon is ridiculously low cal and this is the white bit not red bit so no sugar= less cals. Judging by the taste i'd say its calorie count would be comparable to green vegetables like celery/cucumber- it's seriously water and fiber with a hint of watermelon (but not sweet). 

I'm so excited about finding this new ingredient! I hate waste so I'm kicking myself for all the times i've thrown it out when I could have eaten it but never again! I'm going to try it in stirfrys, soups, currys, stews, salads- you name it!

Watermelon Rind Tom Yum Soup
Serves 2
2 cups diced watermelon rind (only the white bit!)
4 tsp tom yum paste (less if you don't like it hot)
1 medium carrot
3 button mushrooms
coriander to garnish
  • fry off tom yum paste till it's fragrant and the oil splits out
  • add 5 cups water (I use the kettle to make it quicker)
  • add watermelon rind
  • add carrot
  • simmer until watermelon rind changes from hard and white to softer and a darker white with a hint of green (to your taste- just remember it will keep cooking in the soup whilst you're eating)
  • put mushrooms in the bowl raw (just being in the hot soup will cook them enough)
  • garnish with herbs
I'm making this one again for sure! You should all try it- don't throw out your watermelon rind!!!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This looks positively delish hun! I'm definitely going to try this :)

    Love you millions,
    Adeline xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...