Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stewed Apple

This is my favourite dessert in the whole wide world. My mother used to make it for me when I was little so eating it feels like a big warm hug. I've changed the recipe since then (omitting sugar/salt and including skins)

It's filling and full of fiber, unlike most desserts. Great warm in winter and cold in summer or frozen as fruit sorbet! It's almost like cinnamon apple sauce depending on how much you reduce it/how thick you like it.

Stewed Apples
4 Apples- I like granny smiths but it works with any apples!
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice- I like a bit of an acidic kick so you might want to add less and taste.
Stevia to taste (10 drops?)- this will change depending on which apples you're using.
  • Core and chop apples (leaving skin on)
  • Simmer apples with as little water as possible until tender
  • Blend until smooth (or feel free to leave it chunky if you want some bite to it!)
  • Return to heat, add lemon, stevia, cinnamon
  • Reduce on a low heat to achieve desired consistency & intensify flavour
  • Serve sprinkled with cinnamon!
This makes 2 large or 4 small serves. It can be eaten hot or cold and it can also be used as an egg replacement in baking recipes. When it's cold the texture is much thicker and stickier, which I like, it makes it feel more decadent! but if you're not big on that texture just thin it down with some water!

I really hope you give this a go, it's low cal/fat/sugar, easy to make and keeps well in the fridge and freezer (so if you get a big cheap bag of apples at the market that need to be used asap this recipe is great!) How can you go wrong?! 

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do! xxx
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, thank you for this! Apples are my favorite fruit every! My grandmother always fries then and adds tons of sugar and butter, but I like this option much better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...